In today's fast-paced world, the demand for convenient and reliable transportation options has skyrocketed. One industry that has emerged to meet this demand is the private hire industry. Operating as a private hire driver in cities like London requires obtaining a Private Hire Vehicle (PHV) licence, commonly known as a PCO (Public Carriage Office) licence.
What is a PCO Licence?
A PCO licence is a legal requirement for individuals operating as private hire drivers in specific cities, such as London. It is issued by the Public Carriage Office, which is responsible for regulating and licensing private hire vehicles, drivers, and private hire operators in the area. Holding a PCO licence signifies that a driver has met certain criteria and is authorized to provide pre-booked private hire services.
What are the requirements for getting a PCO licence?
- Age: Applicants must be at least 21 years old.
- Driving Experience: A minimum period of driving experience, often around three years, is usually required.
- Medical Fitness: Applicants must undergo a medical examination to ensure they are fit to drive.
- English Language Skills: Good command of the English language is essential for effective communication with passengers and road safety.
- Background Checks: Applicants must undergo a criminal record check, ensuring they have no serious convictions or driving offenses.
How do you get a PCO licence?
To obtain a PCO licence, it is necessary to undergo a topographical skills assessment at a designated TfL driver assessment center. This assessment consists of two separate components that need to be successfully completed. The first component involves a speaking and listening assessment, while the second component evaluates your reading and writing skills, focusing on safety, equality, and regulatory understanding (SERU). Passing both assessments is essential to demonstrate your proficiency in these areas.
How long does it take to get a PCO licence?
A PCO licence is a common requirement for most car hire companies. The process of obtaining a PCO licence typically takes around 3 to 4 months, which may initially appear like a long time. It is important to recognize the valuable benefits it can offer to your career, making the time invested in acquiring a PCO licence worthwhile.
How long does your PCO licence last?
After your PCO licence is issued, it will remain valid for three years. If you have a PCO licence, visit our website or contact us to learn how you can join the Crawfords team. https://crawfords.co.uk/drive-with-us/